Cookbooks, menus and recipes
Your diet sheet will probably include tips on bending the rules safely when you are eating out, but your Renal Unit may have other leaflets available which cover aspects such as adapting your diet at Christmas. Do ask the renal dietitian.
There are a number of cookbooks that have been written specifically for the renal patient. Here are some that we know about:
- "Kidney care cookbook: Rediscovering Food & Flavours" by Lawrence Keogh
A free cookbook to download with recipes for a renal diet created by TV chef Lawrence Keogh, who lives with chronic kidney disease and received a transplant
- "Eating Well with Kidney Failure" by Helena Jackson, Annie Cassidy and Gavin James
- "TASTE! Healthy Eating for a Modern Lifestyle" by Lawrence Keogh and Janet Brinkworth
A cookbook for renal patients and their families put together by Lawrence Keogh and Janet Brinkworth for The National Kidney Federation (NKF)
- "Food for Life" by Lawrence Keogh
ISBN-10 : 0952882310;
- "Enjoying Food on a Renal Diet" edited by Marianne Vennegoor
Below are links to some sample information sheets for Haemodialysis patients, based on booklets prepared by Betty Bennion, Renal Dietitian.