Doc training Deanery want my story to improve support

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

eliznew412

Doc training Deanery want my story to improve support

Post by eliznew412 »

Brilliant opportunity to try to get better 'whole life' support and attitude from doctors when dealing with young people growing up through life stages with serious renal conditions!

I happened to have been given a temping assignment at a medical training Deanery ie Severn Deanery. The chap who co-ordinates and advises on courses for training doctors through their foundation years and through to becoming either GPs or consultants says that I have really got some important points and reckons that telling doctors about my experience would be very helpful training material with a view to improving how doctors relate to young people and sadly the hidden but consistent consequences of not addressing them. Fortunately I have already written a fairly full account already and just have the last bit to do. Going back over my 'write up' of experiences has been quite traumatic and got me emotionally upset again but now I've got over sobbing again I think it is well worth the pain of completing it for submission to the Deanery. Wish me luck 'gulp' but I've got to do this - too big an opportunity to miss and maybe facing those I had 'greatly feared' will be incidentally therapeutic.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Liz, thats brilliant knews. I think this is certainly an area often neglegted and worth looking at from a new angle.

The bestest of luck!:)

Jim x
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Laura

Post by Laura »

Fanastic! My consultant has been pioneering a young peoples clinic which takes the patients out of the usual hospital situation and enables them to chat among themselves. Although I don't attend that particular clinic, I go along as peer support. The group I have been to already has been hugely benefical. It was brilliant to see the young people opening up about their experiences. My consultant is hoping that by providing this service less young people will lose their transplants.
eliznew412

Thanks

Post by eliznew412 »

Hi thanks for the encouragement.

Hope you don't mind Laura, I have quoted some of your response in my write up in my suggestions for improvements. It sounds a great idea.
eliznew412

Emotional journey - 1/2 a century's worth! My story

Post by eliznew412 »

Well I've done it - completed 'What my illnes means to me'. I did get exgtremely upset at some points and asked the Deanery chap to edit it for me as I was aware it was rather rather lengthy for tuition material. I have put my version on my Emotional Spritual Google Group. If you are a sensitive soul or have had similar experiences of being patroinised, isolated and or abused by a partner its only fair to warn you it is upsetting. However I think there is a real point in telling my story as I feel medics certainly set me up for vulnverablity and is likely they can do the same for young patients and young adults patients even now, particulary with the current financial climate. I even heard one speaker on the radio say that costs of healthcare are increased by people who go to their doctor for psychological problems - a very sweeping a naive remark. This denies the fact that continued repression of feelings and isolation of a patient leads to a lack of support for the patient and depression.

I have also added a document outlining what I think doctors and consultants can do to reduced this risk of rough handling a patient with a chronic condition, particularly from childhood. Their own culture and the patient's culture are often discounted as not important during a harried consultation. The importance of the trend over time and its effects are understated - partly because we all want to try to be 'brave' and while you are young you want to feel special and tend to have more delicate ego. This can compound isolation if there is no reasonably sensitve support or lack of warm understanding.

I think my on-line group my enable others to tell their stories and thoughts and I am starting to get enough material on it to kick start it. More contributions and members would be welcome. Lets get things improved.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/emotio ... sses?hl=en

Liz
Rik

Post by Rik »

OK OK OK ... so I admit that my first thought was who on earth were the 'Dog' Training Deanery :0$
well done Liz ... couldnt have been easy for you :0)
eliznew412

tee hee

Post by eliznew412 »

Thanks Rik

I see what you mean. Hope you read my poem on countants and cats.

:lol:
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Liz - thought it was very impressive, difficult to relive I am sure, but hopefully part of your healing process. Well done!
eliznew412

Post by eliznew412 »

Thanks Mandy,

Perhaps I should rename this thread as 'Cat training at the Deanery'.

It is ironic that the Deanery is having an 'Away Day' with fun games with 'team bulding' activities - and yep with lots of those lovey 'cats'. Talk about facing my fears! I may feel uneasy at the prospect but apparently if I decide not to go I won't get paid as the Deanery office will be closed for the day! So I'll have to face going and 'enjoy' myself! It think they have pottery on the agenda. 'Deanery' sounds such a funny old fashioned word I imagined the Head of the Deanery being very ancient and getitng wheeled out from time to time and the building to be like something out of Harry Potter. It actually a smart new building and the Head of the Deanery is a lively youngish Irish doctor.

:shock: I just hope the team games are not embarrasing ones.