Opinions please egfr 15

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

mrsmelly

Opinions please egfr 15

Post by mrsmelly »

Hi. Trying to find my way around the forum. Meanwhile, my egfr is now 15 and I just wondered how low most of you were b4 you were adversly affected and had to go on dialysis? I seem fine at present but is it low enough to make me feel breathless sometimes after walking up hill?
Any input appreciated. Oh I am male aged 67 previous removal of half one kidney a few years back and ckd attributed to very high calcium ( another problem now fixed ) and over use for years of diclofenac. Thanks in advance.
wagolynn

Re: Opinions please egfr 15

Post by wagolynn »

Hi,
An eGFR of 15 is bringing you in the range where my beginning to fell the effects of kidney failure.
Each individual will start to notice the effect of low eGFR at different levels but I would think it is well worth mentioning to your GP or Consultant if you are seeing one.
In my experience, they usually start to consider dialysis around eGFR 12 depending on how the patient is feeling.

Best wishes.
Oldboy

Post by Oldboy »

Have you had bloods taken recently and if so was your iron levels checked, my egfr is 16 and I'm breathless walking upstairs but they're putting it down to severe anemia.I've had 3 blood transfusions since January which helps but my red blood count is still low.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Oldboy,
Wow 3 blood transfusions!

The more usual way, is transfusions and injections of EPO( EPO gives the bone marrow a kick up the backside telling it to produce more red cells)

See https://www.southtees.nhs.uk/services/p ... ietin-epo/

In my experience, transfusions are used in an emergency situations only.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Having used EPO for a while now I totally get why it's a performance enhancing drugs!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!