Hi All I am the New one Here

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Maybe

Re: Hi All I am the New one Here

Post by Maybe »

Hi, I am also new, my husband started APD a few months ago.
Not been as simple as we hoped, having trouble with machine alarming because of slow drains, so if anyone has any tips we would be grateful
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Maybe wrote:Hi, I am also new, my husband started APD a few months ago.
Not been as simple as we hoped, having trouble with machine alarming because of slow drains, so if anyone has any tips we would be grateful
First port of call should be the APD nurse, also the manufacturers have a very helpful support system.

Best wishes.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Welcome to the group:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi everyone, I’m new too, just joined and looking for a support network really, people that understand and people that can advise, friends really, i am a single mum with no family and no friends, it is literally just me and my daughter, my kidney function is currently at 14% and my creatinine levels are at 395, I have severe pain in my legs and some days I can’t even walk, my entire body itches and I just generally feel bad, I would like to know how everyone’s kidney problems affect them so I know if this is normal or not, will it pass, does it get easier? What’s the next step? Please feel free to message me, thank you for listening to me rant xx
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Faith,
Welcome to the forum.

Pains in joints and muscles is one the symptoms of impaired kidney function but usually shows at about 10% function or lower.
Itching, again is common with low kidney function. (with kidney failure you should not use anti-inflammatories {Aspirin, Isoprofen etc} for pain relief Paracetamol is OK)
As we are all different, just when these things show, and how bad they are is different for each of us.
I think, it would be a good idea to check with your GP that you do not have some other problem, the GP can help with the pain and itching.
I have been prescribed a cream called Hydromol, which keeps the itching under control for me.

Have you been referred to a Consultant yet?
If you have remember that the Consultant will only be looking at your kidneys, and you must still go to your GP for general health problems.

This link is the home page for this website, I think it would help you to read some of the items shown to give you some idea of what may happen next

http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/contents.php

If you have any more questions post them, I am sure someone on here will have some helpful suggestions.

Best wishes.
JoannaNic

Post by JoannaNic »

Hi Faith & everyone

I am at 20% function and have started with itchiness and aching joints along with the annoying constant tiredness. I have spoken to my consultant who has prescribed vitamin D for the joint pain which seems to be working for now. Symptoms happen at different times for each of us. Are you under a consultant? You should speak to them about anything out of the ordinary no matter how trivial you think it is.

Big hugs
john67

Post by john67 »

hello everyone I just joined, my GFR dropped from 29 to 22 in 6 months next hospital appointment in may
JohnW99

Post by JohnW99 »

RE Vitamin D
My consultant has recommended I start taking Calcitriol which is I believe a form of vitamin D, my GP is reluctant to prescribe it (maybe due to cost?) hopefully this will be resolved in the next week or so.
Also my folate is very low, so I am taking tablets for that and having flax seeds with breakfast every day,
I wish everyone a Happy New Year.
gabieleke

Post by gabieleke »

Hi there. Does anybody know any supplements that could help me increase my mental awareness? As I used to covid positive, now I have some mental health problems that I haven’t solved yet. Waiting for your reply. TIA
Rik

Post by Rik »

by gabieleke » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:30 am

Hi there. Does anybody know any supplements that could help me increase my mental awareness? As I used to covid positive, now I have some mental health problems that I haven’t solved yet. Waiting for your reply. TIA
Hi.. you don't mention what kidney issues you have.. or where you are based..
but if you are UK based..
anything like this should be a question you ask your Renal Team or your GP
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi gaibleke,
See your GP and tell him/her how you feel.

Kidney failure pushes you towards depression but if you are aware of this it is possible to re-direct your thoughts, when the black cloud hits tell yourself it is a symptom of the kidney problems nothing more, and try not to dwell on the cloud.

If you can take some exercise, a brisk 20 min walk, several times a week would do.

Revisit an old hobby, or find a new one, read books that you never had time to, learn a new skill, a no cost interest could be learning to programming a computer using Scratch (Google Scratch), anything to keep your brain ticking over.

Best wishes.
Davesw13

Post by Davesw13 »

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I didn’t realise that renal fog and depression came with CKD. I’ve been talking to the Samaritans for months via their really helpful email and they’ve helped me through times, but to know this could be cyclic from my kidneys is interesting and it’s not just me
Rik

Post by Rik »

no need to apologise..
renal fog and related depression is a real thing..
and not something you realise you have slid into..
glad you found support and worked through it