Hair loss after transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

chrisb

Hair loss after transplant

Post by chrisb »

I had a transplant almost 6 months ago and about 6 weeks ago my hair started to fall out and continues to do so. I have been told it due to me taking Tacrolimus which of course I will have to take for the life of the kidney. Does anyone have experience of this and is it temporary or will it all go and stay gone?
wagolynn

Re: Hair loss after transplant

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Chrisb,

Have you tried searching the forum?

The search box is at the top of the page just below, "KPG Forum", I would try searching for, 'hair loss', and then maybe, 'hair regrown'.
I seem to remember comments about hair from time to time.

I would also try the drug website there may be some encouraging information there.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Thanks
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi ChrisB
I had major hair loss. It will improve as they taper down the Cellcept and Prograf. However to try and help the situation here in the USA I use Rogaine and I was also given a topical steroid. Really helped.
Farstud

Post by Farstud »

My hair also started to fall out one year ago after the transplant.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I had a lot of hair loss for the first year or so because of the high drug dosages. Once we tapered down it stopped happening and I've mostly got all my hair back now.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Farstud

Post by Farstud »

I'm not a doctor, but I've heard that post-transplant hair loss can be due to medication side effects. It's a tough situation to be in. You might want to discuss it with your healthcare provider and see if there are any alternatives or solutions. Also, here's an article on how to fix protein overload if it's the reason. Best of luck!