3D printing of living tissue/organs

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DeanH

3D printing of living tissue/organs

Post by DeanH »

Hopefully another small step forward that will eventually lead to further advances in being able to create organs and parts for transplantation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35581454
chrisb

Re: 3D printing of living tissue/organs

Post by chrisb »

I saw on TV a while ago an interview with a surgeon and a father, explaining how they had made a 3D copy of his kidney to see if it could be transplanted into his tiny baby. The copy of his kidney was soft and they placed it into a 3D copy of her diaphragm which was hard alongside copies of her liver bowel etc which were soft thus finding out if the transplant op would work before actually carrying g it out. Amazing.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
olliecaine

Post by olliecaine »