do I change job.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

CAROL COLEMAN

do I change job.

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Just sounding of. Coming up to 2 yr transplant on sunday. After 7yrs not working due to the kidney failure, I have been working 14 months cleaning in a care home. It was ok at the start when you are in a team, but management are now constantly roto 1 person, which I am now finding hard. As I am 55yr old and have to support myself, bit concerned about transplant. So now thinking do I stick it out, or try to get something else. With all this welfare change transplant patients get no help. Any coments be grateful for.

Carol
C Coleman
MandyV

Re: do I change job.

Post by MandyV »

Hi Carol
Sorry to hear that you are finding it tough - post tx it is hard to get stamina up anyway but is your employer being unreasonable with reducing the team and increasing the workload? Could the DDA (I think it is disability discrimination act - not that you are disabled but if they have not made reasonable provision blah blah) - could citizens advice not be a place to start?

Otherwise it is probably worth looking around for a job that you find more suitable. I stayed in my role for 3 years post tx to let things settle (I worked all the way through but I have a desk job) and then moved on. Not that I couldn't physically do the job but just that I had a different perspective on life. Now I have been doing a combination of interim and not working. The work is hard when I do and no taking time off as i was getting paid by the day (with minimum hours) but then time off afterwards. That being said I think a permanent job is probably the way to go in the longer term (now to find the right one).

I know the job market is tough right now so I would suggest you get as much info as possible before walking away (and preferably a new role!)
Good Luck!
CAROL COLEMAN

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Mandy
Thank you so much for your reply. Its nice getting someone else perspective on it. Its hard when you have been out of the work loop for many years. Hard work doesnt bother me but when they move the goal post . And the joke is my boss dad had kidney transplant, so you think he would no better. Ive got 2 weeks of now so I will be getting information up together like you said.
Thank you again
Carol
C Coleman
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I doubt you will damage the transplanted kidney by working (hard). What you describe sounds typical of the care sector. I would stick it out doing the job to the best of my ability whilst looking for another post. In most jobs, an applicant in work will always be preferred to one out of work.

Good luck with the search.