suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

hansi

Re: suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

Post by hansi »

Thank you.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Just got the results of my latest blood test. Creatinine 222 umol/l, eGFR 25L/min/1.73m2, Sodium 141 mmol, Potassium 5.6 mmol. Consultant bit concerned about creatinine level and told me to cut out all added salt. Other than that, I feel very well.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
If you eliminate all added salt, both at the table and while cooking, after a short while you will find it easy, and begin to wonder why you spoiled food by adding so much salt.

I assume you know about the so called low salt products, generally they are not allowed for people with kidney conditions, most are sodium phosphate, and of course we need to be limiting our phosphate intake.

I found black pepper is a good substitute for salt, along with some experimentation with herbs.

Look out for prepared foods, these are usually loaded with salt.
hansi

Post by hansi »

wagolynn wrote:Hi hansi,
If you eliminate all added salt, both at the table and while cooking, after a short while you will find it easy, and begin to wonder why you spoiled food by adding so much salt.

I assume you know about the so called low salt products, generally they are not allowed for people with kidney conditions, most are sodium phosphate, and of course we need to be limiting our phosphate intake.

I found black pepper is a good substitute for salt, along with some experimentation with herbs.

Look out for prepared foods, these are usually loaded with salt.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Linda68

Post by Linda68 »

Hiya I am new here,I have did stage 5 which has happened over years due to reflux and infections. I have great family support but do not want them worrying more so I'm am on here looking for help.

I have been getting deep dips in my mood my gfr dropped to 12 and I have problems walking due to muscle waste after having sepsis twice an having to be in intensive care.my weight has dropped considerably an she to problems with my bladder I have been told my condition is complicated.

I would be interested if other ckd patients have these major dips of mood an dealing with this condition.

Thankyou
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Linda68,
Welcome to the forum.

Dips in mood are common with kidney failure, along with weakening of muscles.

I would think you are not far away from Dialysis, once your body adjusts to dialysis (1 to 2 months) you may well find an improvement in wellbeing.

If you look on the KPG home page you will find lots of information there that can be trusted. https://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/

Have a look, and if it triggers off more questions, post them, and sure someone will try to help you.

Best wishes.
Brianm501

Post by Brianm501 »

Hi my name is BRIAN i am77 yrs of age living in NORTH EAST ENGLAND,i have been living with KIDNEY DISEASE for over 20 yrs and am now in STAGE 4,at present i am managing okay but had a significant drop in function over the past 12 months so now looking into what lies ahead,i am not taking any medication or having any treatment at present just being careful to follow advice and diet etc.If my condition keeps deteriorating at same pace im probably looking at STAGE 5 within next 2 yrs so now looking to get some advice from people on this site who are living with DIALYSIS etc.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Brianm501,
Welcome to the forum.

I have been on Haemodialysis for over 10 years now.
It is not the big issue that some people think, it does take up time but soon becomes just part of your life.

It is best to have Fistula prepared in advance of needing to start dialysis, it will take a few sessions before you get comfortable with it, and a similar time for your body to adjust, after which you should start to feel the benefits.

The other option is, Peritoneal dialysis if you suitable, this is done at home.

If you look at the articles on the home page of this website there are full descriptions of both systems there. https://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk

If these articles raise more questions, post on the forum, I am sure someone will have the answers.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Wagolynn,

I’m delighted to see you back. I was rather concerned that you hadn’t been round for a while.
Hope all is well.

Sue
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Skm,
Thanks for your concern.

Yes, I have been moving Mrs wagolynn and myself into a care home, so have been occupied with the move, and getting the care home to get the medication and food right once we got there.

I am now dialysing at a different unit, and they are insisting on treating me as new to Dialysis, and my BP is naturally low so they have not been taking the correct amount of fluid off etc. etc.
This has not helped health wise!

But I am slowly get things sorted.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Wagolynn,

Hope you and Mrs W are all settled in now.
As time passes with kidney disease I realise more and more just how much more we know about our own disease than many of the “experts” around us. The good professionals are those that will at least listen to us.

All the best
Sue
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Skm,
Thank you.

The work goes on...
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Hi everyone,

Just happy to have found this forum. Reading all of your experiences is super helpful.

Been recently diagnosed and awaiting dialysis.

Thanks!
Davesw13

Post by Davesw13 »

Hi, just found site this today. I’m stage 4, waiting latest bimonthly blood tests results tomorrow, but hovering around eGfr 26. Diagnosed with protein in urine 10 years ago at a medical, monitored since as “mildly interesting” as the consultant said, until a biopsy last year showed IGA Nephropathy. Numbers have tumbled for a while from mid 60’s 2 years ago. On loads of meds, but the latest addition dapagliflozin seems to help slow things.

Online search brought me here as the last 36 hours I’ve come down with a bug, (I don’t get ill normally) and everything is agony, aches, joints hurt, sore throat & chest etc. Eliminated covid. Wanted to check and see if a cold/virus is worse with CKD than normal and it appears it is, so not really worrying now 😂
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi.. welcome to the Board
glad you found us!