Caution about CT Scans

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

morzov

Caution about CT Scans

Post by morzov »

Don't know if this has been posted before but I thought it worth mentioning. I am a transplant patient and recently had a CT scan of my coronary arteries.

My renal consultant was concerned that the consultant doing the scan hadn't checked first about my kidney function because the contrast fluid used could possibly cause renal problems.

I'm no expert so I don't know what they are but it certainly seems worth checking with your renal unit if having a CT scan
MandyV

Re: Caution about CT Scans

Post by MandyV »

This is the same with some of the contrast used in MRI scans too - worth asking the question for sure.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I question very closely any radiological studies that I have done about whether they involve contrast dye. Certain contrasts can diminish kidney function and there is one called gadolinium which can cause a condition called nephrogenic systemic fibrosis or nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy. I recently had an angioplasty that required contrast medium. My dialysis unit recommended that I do dialysis as soon as possible after the test.
webster

Post by webster »

When my husband had his angigram, a different dye was used a kidney friendly one (not sure of name) and afterwards he was put on an iv drip for several hours
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Thank you for the information. My husband is supposed to be having a CT scan next week. I will ask before anything is given to him.
MatthewHickman

Post by MatthewHickman »

Hi,
I had a iodine contrast CT scan last year about a year after my transplant. My neph insisted I was put on a saline drip for 6hrs before and 6 hours afterwards as a precautionary measure. Made it a long day in hospital for a 15minute scan!

Best Wishes, Matthew.
Happy Man from Bourne
sporti

Post by sporti »

Yes you do need to check that they DONT use the contrast on the CT scans. They always do mine without contrast except when I had one done for my parathyroid gland but apparantly that was a different contrast. I didnt realise there was a kidney friendly contrast for an angiogram as the cardiologist I see says I cant have an angiogram as the contrast will damage whats left of my kidney function.