Post renal transplant a week or two after symptoms

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Wyliee

Post renal transplant a week or two after symptoms

Post by Wyliee »

I thought Id got off pretty lightly for the first few days after transplant and even got to gp home day 5 post surgery. I had managed to do assigned number but f walks around the ward despite the ever crowded corridors.

However day 14 i really really noticed the fact that they simply cannot give transplant patients any transfusion and the resultant low red blood cell count dropped even lower. The breathlessness and sleepiness of s awful. My consultant was gping to wait for transplanted kidney to produce EPO bit she relented and let me have an EPO injection.

I guess I should have predicted this drop in energy bit naturally a perspn expects normally to feel much betyer the further away in time you are from the op. Its a pity we cant get synthetically red blood cells! Loolimg it n gogle it will be a month or two until i feel better!

Anyone well had there s nasty shock. I keep seekimg warm spots for daytime naps, just like a cat🙀!
Thumps

Re: Post renal transplant a week or two after symptoms

Post by Thumps »

Welcome to the rollercoaster! Recovery from your transplant is not linear, there are ups and downs and scares and reassurances and all kinds of fun but the more time passes the easier it gets and the better we eventually feel. Wishing you all the best!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!