Vaccines for Covid 19

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Vaccines for Covid 19

Post by Thumps »

Hi folks - wanted to start a thread so fellow transplant patients could share their experiences around the Covid19 vaccination process.

I've been invited to my local hospital for mine on Saturday, with the second dose booked in for early April, 11 weeks away. Has anyone else had theirs yet? Which one? Any immediate ill effects?

For reference, I rarely if ever get any from our annual flu vaccinations, but when I got pneumococcal my arm was bright red and sore for several days!

Looking forward to feeling a little less at risk as these start to come through :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
wagolynn

Re: Vaccines for Covid 19

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Thumps,
Lets hope you don't have any reaction, you must be one of the very few that react to vaccines.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Getting mine today!

Yippee...

Second one booked in for early April.

Gotta traipse up to St Thomas's though, but relative to sitting at home getting bored, it's a bit of an adventure!

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
morzov

Post by morzov »

Interested to know if those being vaccinated getting it at their renal units?

My renal unit isn't doing them - no reason given - and says GP will contact me. They didn't seem terribly interested TBH.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I had mine done at the hospital where my renal unit is, but it wasn't in the renal unit, just part of the overall vaccine centre.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Skm

Post by Skm »

Had mine on Sunday at local hub.
Felt nothing at time and don’t have a sore arm..I do wonder if they actually gave me one!

Had Astra Zeneca. No appointment for second dose. I’m a bit concerned. I can see appointments for this drifting. I don’t think being vulnerable with a dodgy immune response we can consider ourselves protected (all be it sub optimally) until 2 weeks after our second vaccination.
Transplant May 2015
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

morzov wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:34 pm Interested to know if those being vaccinated getting it at their renal units?

My renal unit isn't doing them - no reason given - and says GP will contact me. They didn't seem terribly interested TBH.
Was arranged by my renal unit, but i know my GP Surgery is doing it as well.
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

My GP surgery contacted my wife to arrange her Covid jab at another surgery in town, eventually they reluctantly added an appointment for me.
morzov

Post by morzov »

Thanks for the replies and glad you have all had your first dose.

I know that for flu jabs and pneumonia jabs renal units don't usually get involved but given how long we have all been shielding and the high mortality rate for what they call solid organ transplant patients I think vaccination is every bit as important as our anti rejection drugs - possibly more so.

For that reason I am surprised that they aren't more involved. Not only is my unit not giving vaccines ,although the hospital it is based at is, when I asked them how they would know what vaccine I had been given and when, I got the reply "we are not intending to keep a database"!

I have a blood test next week and then a telephone consultation so I'll be bring this up.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Some units are doing them 'in unit' (friends have had them) Friend. Non renal has had one and had flu like symptoms and a sore arm for a couple of days.

Probably something to do with Trust decisions more than anything. Thats the issue with semi privatisation.

Worth looking at the Webinars/NKF/KCUK and ZOE https://mailchi.mp/b71eafd9ad89/invite- ... 28ee019341
I've had a postal test a few days ago as someone who works with me has symptoms.

Both me and my partner got the test pronto, and hers has come back negative. My email should come through soon I guess.
I'm glad a new vaccine unit has opened up at a GP's surgery I can easily get to by bike.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Skm

Post by Skm »

The transplant nurses from my hospital rang yesterday to ask if I’d been vaccinated, when and with which vaccine. I’ve been vaccinated. Not sure what they would have done if I hadn’t. It was nice to get the support.
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

My wife and I had our Covid Jab on Sat, lots of people were given the same time on Sat afternoon, there was quite a queue outside in the cold for about half an hour. Not very good, a few just turned round, and went home.
AllenC

Post by AllenC »

Mine is booked for Tuesday at my GP’s surgery.
Hoping not to see a queue.

As to my renal unit being involved, I never expected they would be.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today, second booked in for April the 19th.

Very efficient service, I was straight in and out and so far I have a headache and a sore arm.
Transplanted 20/04/07.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

As I understand it -
If you have had letters telling you to shield, yes, otherwise no.