Routine blood test showed GFR of 55

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

En0u1209

Routine blood test showed GFR of 55

Post by En0u1209 »

Hi, I had a routine blood test at my GP a few weeks ago and was asked to come back in a month to redo. When I checked the test results online it showed I had a creative level of 99 and GFR of 55.

I am due to have bloods taken next week to test again.

My main question is could this be a fluke low result? Or is it likely to be CKD? Is there anything else that can affect these results. I’ve tried googling but I can’t really find out whether results naturally fluctuate much. I know you have to have had a low GFR for 3 months to be diagnosed with CKD so I’m guessing this means may they may dip for a short period of time.

Ps I am a 37 year old female who does not have diabetes or hypertension.

Thanks in advance
wagolynn

Re: Routine blood test showed GFR of 55

Post by wagolynn »

Hi EnOu1209,

GFR is usually eGFR (e stands for estimated), and is well known for being inaccurate but an eGFR is OK, it may become a problem if you became pregnant.

With eGFR, it is best to look at trends in several blood tests rather than acting on a single reading.

It is possible for the blood results to change if you are 'out of sorts', as they say, so I would wait for the next set of results.

Best wishes and Happy New Year.
En0u1209

Post by En0u1209 »

Just as an update my eGFR on my second set of bloods was still 55. I also looked back over my medical history and I had U&E tested in 2017 and it was 60. I guess that means 55 is unlikely to be a blip.

I have an appointment with my dr on Friday to discuss. I’m assuming I will need to have another blood test in a month as CKD can only be diagnosed if GFR is under 60 for 3 months+.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Best wishes.
Giordana

Post by Giordana »

Hi there,
It could be a CKD, GFR is just an estimate blood result. I think you should also do a urine test to find out if there is protein (protenuria) or blood (hematuria) in your urine.

I also found out about my low egfr (49) and protein in my urine during a health routine check in 2016, when I was 38 years old (female). My GP thought I had CKD stage 3 and referred me to a nephrologist straight away.
After many tests (renal ultrasound, MRA and biopsy) I was diagnosed with CKD stage 3 Iga Nephropathy.

Looking back at my blood test result in 2014 my eGFR was 68 (age 36). My GP never mentioned it to me. I wish she did!
Now in 2021, I am still in CKD stage 3 with healthy diet, exercises and good blood pressure control (Lisinopril 5mg).

I wish you all the best!

IgAN patient