New to the forum

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jessica91

New to the forum

Post by Jessica91 »

Hey,
Sorry I have never been on a forum before but currently struggling and just looking for a bit of advice.
I had a pyloplasty back in the early 90s when I was about 3/4 years old, so over 20 years ago. I constantly have kidney infections, on antibiotics or in pain. All of these I can mange with my consultant here in London.
Recently I would say the last two years, I find I get ill so quickly, with the flu, colds, muscle/joint problems, and getting infections, being tired. I try to keep a healthy diet, I take probiotics but nothing seems to help. I just wondered if anyone else who has had this operation suffers with immune problems? Or constantly getting sick. I am self employed so I find it very difficult to take time off and just wondered if anyone had any advice?
Thank you
Jessica
wagolynn

Re: New to the forum

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Jessica91,
Welcome to the forum.

Two things come to mind:-

I would ask my GP if there was anything I could do/take to help my immune system.

Has the kidney consultant had a look at your kidney function recently, and your red cell count?
Jessica91

Post by Jessica91 »

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
Yes I will book an appt with my GP to talk about this, I just feel I am always there and get the eye roll when I walk in. :(

I normal get a Nuclear Medicine test with the radioactive dye at least once a year sometimes 1 1/2. I was due to see my consultant in March but then Covid happened so the appt got cancelled. I will definitely ask about my red cell count next time I am in.
Thank you so much
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Jessica91,

Your GP can order a cell count, I had Anaemia in mind as the cause of your tiredness.
I think, the radio active test is to confirm the blood supply to your kidneys is working well, the blood test I was referring to was to check kidney function.
From what you have said, about your treatment it looks as though the consultant is/has been assuming your kidney function is ok.

If your kidneys are not working well it may cause your red cell count to drop.
Poor kidney function also impairs the immune system.

But don't worry I could be miles off.

Best wishes.