Kidney Scan Request

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

hansi

Kidney Scan Request

Post by hansi »

I've been told that I have to have a kidney and bladdder scan ASAP as my consultant is not happy with my on-going kidney function. My last test results were Creatinine =203 umol and eGFR =28mL/min1/1.73m2 whatever that means.
wagolynn

Re: Kidney Scan Request

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
This may help you understand the numbers - http://edren.org/ren/edren-info/blood-t ... y-disease/

Lets hope the scan reveals all.

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

My scan is booked for 6th July
hansi

Post by hansi »

The results of the scan were not conclusive and I have now been told I have to undergo a kidney biopsy which is being arranged for next week. Getting a bit scary now.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I know it is easy to say but try not to worry, biopsies are used fairly often in diagnosing kidney problems.

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

I see my consultant tomorrow for my biopsy results. Hoping for good news, although since I had the biopsy on 15th July and I haven't heard from the hospital, I guess that no news is good news.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

I have been diagnosed with Diabetic Nephropathy. Put on two new mediactions and stopped Amlodipine. So could have been a lot worse!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
Looks as though you are happy with the results, anyway at least now you know.

Best wishes.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Not at all happy. My consultant put me on a new tablet which upset my heart rhythm so much, I had to be rushed into hospital on the point of collapse. I am now back home with a new medication which seems to be working but it was very frightening.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Oh dear, sorry to put the jinx on you, lets hope the new meds keep things under control.
hansi

Post by hansi »

My consultant has now put me on 30 mcgs self administered injections of Micera every 28 days, as my my haemoglobin level is now 79 and it should be nearer 100.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Your kidneys normally produce a hormone called erythropoetin (EPO) which stimulats the production of red blood cells but sick kidneys do not produce EPO hence your low blood count.
Mircera is a synthetic version.

If it does the trick, you should feel less tired as your blood count increases.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Thanks
hansi

Post by hansi »

I have to inject Micera for the first time myself this week. Bit apprehensive to say the least!