Coronavirus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

grinninglinux

Re: Coronavirus

Post by grinninglinux »

Hi, read this BBC Article this morning, looks like a lot of high risk groups where missed of the list and never received shielding letters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52123446

Stay safe everyone.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Anyone with kidney failure should be on the list as their immune system will be failing too.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Only if you're stage 4 or 5, it would appear.

https://www.kidneycareuk.org/news-and-c ... us-advice/
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I never got my letter so I spoke to my GP - they are sending me one anyway. We had a good old rant about the shockingly shit job the Govt has been doing, which was oddly bonding :mrgreen:
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Skm

Post by Skm »

Hope everyone is well and coping with isolation/ shielding.

I just wondered how others are coping with the thought of having to remain in isolation while the rest of the world goes back to a new normal? While we are all in this together I feel I can cope. At first it will be ok but when they say it could be 18 months before a vaccine and the end of shielding for transplant and dialysis patients, I’m not sure I will feel the same when others are out and about. I’m already feeling a sense of loss and feel I can’t plan anything to look forward to as it could be so long until I can do anything. My life is “on hold”.

Hope I haven’t depressed everyone. I’m usually such a happy person. I guess it’s one day at a time and “we” are all in this together even if others aren’t.

Keep safe
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Skm,
One way of amusing yourself might be to write a few computer programs, if you have never done this, it can be a good brain workout, and very absorbing.
A good place to start is with Scratch, it is free, just download the system, look at the tutorial, and away you go.

Scratch can be found at https://scratch.mit.edu/download/

As to the lockdown - I just take it day by day, thinking about it in the long-term is too daunting.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Hey Skm

I'm totally with you - I've been really struggling with the notion that this might carry on for us for an extended period while the rest of the country gets back to "normal" to some degree. I have been trying to think of ways that I can do things (like, go for a walk, visit with friends) without it being a crazy risk... really glad we're coming into the summer months. I am going out for a walk about twice a week in the early morning when no-one else is about or I'd go mad.

With regard to the long term - I think we're all going to have to decide what our risk profiles and risk tolerances are. I'm certainly unable to consider a complete shielding no contact scenario for the entire year.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

I too am starting to struggle with the thought of an even longer stay at home, if it was just me then I would be fine but I also have a wife and 2 kids, one has just turned 3 and is due to go back to preschool for 3 days a week from September and he is really struggling with not being able to go to soft play etc already. I also have a 1 year old who should be going to new classes and getting out and about and it's making so upset when I wonder what the short term future has to hold for then and us
Skm

Post by Skm »

I have removed my previous post. I think the figures applied to “hospitalised patients” which is not helpful.
Sorry about that.

Has anyone heard any different figures?
Transplant May 2015
jooles

Post by jooles »

Skm wrote:Hope everyone is well and coping with isolation/ shielding.

I just wondered how others are coping with the thought of having to remain in isolation while the rest of the world goes back to a new normal? While we are all in this together I feel I can cope. At first it will be ok but when they say it could be 18 months before a vaccine and the end of shielding for transplant and dialysis patients, I’m not sure I will feel the same when others are out and about. I’m already feeling a sense of loss and feel I can’t plan anything to look forward to as it could be so long until I can do anything. My life is “on hold”.

Hope I haven’t depressed everyone. I’m usually such a happy person. I guess it’s one day at a time and “we” are all in this together even if others aren’t.

Keep safe
Hello All
Can anyone tell me where they have heard / read about extending our shielding period please? I have been wondering about this but can find very little evidence that transplant recipients may be shielding for longer. It does seem to make sense but I am frustrated at the lack of info for us as a group. As I am a teacher, I am keen to know what may happen after our initial 12 week period ...
Best wishes to you all ;-)
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Skm

Post by Skm »

Hi Jooles,

Not seen anything official. Just in newspapers and TV about continuing isolation for “vulnerable “ people. Unfortunately solid organ transplant patients and dialysis patients have been classed as severely vulnerable. I can’t see our vulnerability changing just because lockdown is easing. I appreciate your need to have some clarity because of work. With a bit of luck more advice will be forthcoming next week when Boris reveals his”plan”.

Hope you are well.
Keep safe
Sue
Transplant May 2015
jooles

Post by jooles »

Thank you Sue. I hope you are coping ... I am ridiculously excite about my Sainsbury's delivery this afternoon! :D
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Skm

Post by Skm »

Jooles,

I know just what you mean about the excitement from a Sainsbury delivery.
I tried buying other stuff on line but ran into a problem when I realised I couldn’t go to the post office to return it.

Just been looking at the kidney care website. They are saying that shielding is currently advised to continue until the end of June :( . It will then be reviewed. (Knew I’d seen it somewhere).

I’m doing my own take on shielding- children not at home so husband locked down with me. We don’t go out to shops or pharmacy. Things are delivered. (Hence the Sainsbury excitement). We have some common land a short walk away where you can walk and avoid people if you pick your time (and weather). I’m feeling better about things than I was a few days ago. As Wagolyn said don’t think too far ahead. I know that is not much help as regards work.

Sue
Transplant May 2015
Millimurvie

Post by Millimurvie »

Just want to say I feel the same.......life is jogging along but the thought of shielding for a long time is daunting and so depressing. Then I get cross with myself and realise it’s such a pointless, energy sapp activity. I too get excited about the food delivery and spend far longer than I should gazing out the window. There are so many things I miss but at least I can chase the pigeon off the bean shouts.....exercise as well as sport!.Take care all, with love to all x
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

End of June was basically the original 12 week shielding plan. I've no idea what's going to come next but I'd expect that we'll be encouraged to shield for longer.

Personally, I'm going to have to start making some calculated risk assessments about seeing people in real life as my mental health is taking a massive battering being stuck at home without my loved ones. At some stage this isn't life, just existence. But I'm not there yet!