Coronavirus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DeanH

Coronavirus

Post by DeanH »

Slightly surprised there is'nt a thread on here already about this but I just wondered if anyone had received any advice from their clinic/GP or employers about the current state of affairs and how it might impact anyone who has had a transplant and so on Immunosuppressants or on dialysis etc. Had a double transplant myself almost 5 years ago and nothing coming out from Guys as yet but generally wondering if there will be at this stage.

Not wanting to scaremonger btw, just a general query.

Many thanks
Thumps

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Thumps »

I would guess the reason we've had nothing specific is because the advice is the same as it is for the flu virus or anything else of that type - practise good hygiene, keep away from sick people, see your doctor quickly if you get ill.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I agree with Thumps, I would just add, if you feel ill phone your GP first and explain you think you may have the virus, turning up at the surgery is only going to endanger other sick people.
OK the surgery may say call in but at least they have a choice.

I am not sure about the mask seen on TV news, they look like dust masks to me, and would not be much good against a virus or bacteria for that matter.
Skm

Post by Skm »

I agree with Thumps.

Feeling so well with my transplant I forget I am in a high risk group.
However Having being a dialysis and transplant patient I am an expert at hand washing (20 seconds is nothing after the 2minutes for dialysis) and I can’t walk past hand sanitiser without having a squirt.

On the subject of hand sanitiser they were saying on the radio this morning to use an alcohol based one.

If anyone hears from their transplant teams I should be interested to hear the advice.

Sue
Last edited by Skm on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transplant May 2015
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Alcohol based hand wash is fine for bacteria but no good for virus contamination.

Hand washing is the only way, not that the soap kills the virus but the washing loosens any virus, and then the rinsing flushes them away.

My surgery now says on their website, that if you think you have been in contact with a carrier NOT to visit the surgery but to call NHS 111.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Wagolyn, I beg to differ about the alcohol hand rub (non alcohol hand sanitiser is ineffective) but fully agree about hand washing and calling 111.

I am curious about how great our risks are, being immunosuppressed or on dialysis, if we catch it. There is nothing we can particularly do.

A search of the internet reveals one 51 year old man with a 12 year transplant who survived. He had his immunosuppressive treatment stoped and required intensive treatment. His medication was restarted after 5 days. His kidney had no ill effects.

Anyway I will keep washing my hands.
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Indeed, the literature I've been reading indicates that alcohol gel is effective against this virus. Bad for your hands overall, though.

Interesting about the case, have you got a link to where you saw that? I had a severe bout of tonsilitis last summer where the docs made me stop my immunosuppression for 4 days while I took the antibiotics, felt quite scary!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Yes. it looks as though I am out of date, but they are saying only use the hand cleaner if your hands are not soiled?

Apparently, 100% alcohol does not destroy viruses but 70% + water does.
Skm

Post by Skm »

Anyone heard anything from their units yet?

Thumps - sorry I can’t find that article again. I think it was in a “Lancet” article as a case review.
Transplant May 2015
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

It's ok, I found it - you were right.

Nothing from the unit that differs from general advice and tbh I think that makes sense - it'll only become an issue if we get infected and need treatment.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

The unit I attend for dialysis, has stopped visitors going into the unit.

Asked patients to use hand-gel before entering the unit to weigh in then to wash hands in soap and water in the unit followed by more hand-gel.

If feeling ill/temperature, ring unit then ring NHS 111, they will advise where to go to get dialysed.

Otherwise, they are repeating all the stuff on the news about hand washing, etc.

As far as I know, we have had one nurse self isolating (5 days now) but it is reported she is feeling better.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Thanks wagolynn, I go to Guys but as expected no really advice or update from them.orher than the advice from the NHS, being on anti rejection meds is really making this a very anxious time, I must admit that .finding it all very hard and am having many ups and downs, I'm actually much more worried than at any point when I was on the transplant list.

I hope everyone on here is doing well.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

So is everyone who is in immunosuppression now staying in for the next 12 weeks? What are you doing about your family or people who live with you?
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

So it's seems that the below groups will be contacted directly by the NHS next week as per the latest advice

Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

The new guidance can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ble-adults

I would be interested to hear what folks get from their units and if/when that happens.

For now, I'm staying at home.