First post as I'm little bit worried

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

trevor2003

First post as I'm little bit worried

Post by trevor2003 »

Hi Everyone.
Firstly I'm a type 1 diabetic. In December last year I was told that my GFR had decreased from 60 in June to 38 and as a result was being referred to the nephrology dept at my local hospital. I was told at that time to lose weight, get my blood pressure under control (it was 188/97) and improve my blood sugars levels as this could help maintain a level GFR.
Unfortunately my appointment at the hospital was cancelled from January to April so I am having regular blood tests.
I have thankfully managed to lose 18 lbs in weight , reduce my BP to on average 132/76 and also my blood control is much better. Today I'm told that in spite of what I have done my GFR has dropped to 36
My question is and I ask because I cannot get in to see my GP anytime soon that in spite of what I have managed to achieve my GFR is still falling. Is this normal
Thumps

Re: First post as I'm little bit worried

Post by Thumps »

Hi there

First of all, welcome! I can't comment on the diabetes but I can tell you that you're doing all the right things in losing weight and reducing blood pressure. I can also say that GFR movement is rarely linear, and a drop from 38 to 36 is not a huge one - in fact from one blood test to the next my (very stable) eGFR can vary by up to 4 points over a year (40-45 usually) but usually stays in the same ballpark and has done for 11 years since my transplant. As such, 38 to 36 may not be such a huge worry.

I'm really sad for you that you're not getting support and treatment as quickly as you'd like! For now I'd suggest continuing to look after yourself, losing weight and dropping blood pressure, doing more exercise... these are all good things.

I hope you can get more answers on the specifics of your condition soon!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I go along with what Thumps says above.

On the BP - reducing the amount of salt in your diet should help to bring your BP down, and taking some exercise.
The exercise need not be excessive, 20 mins brisk walking 3 or 4 times a week should help - Brisk walking, if you can talk as you walk then try a bit harder.

Best wishes.
trevor2003

Post by trevor2003 »

Much appreciated . Thank you both