End Stage Kidney Failure - New Symptoms, advice needed

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

seville_2003

End Stage Kidney Failure - New Symptoms, advice needed

Post by seville_2003 »

Hello, I'm looking for some of advice.

My dad has not long been diagnosed with stage 5 kidney failure and the decision was made that dialysis would not be worth while, his most recent bloods put his kidney function at 11%. I care for him on my own and bit by bit little symptoms are starting to show and it would just be nice to be able to chat to anyone who has experienced this and can give me some advice and if they are related to his kidney issues.

Since leaving hospital a month ago he has every so often started feeling nauseous and wanting to throw up but most of the time not bringing anything up. Usually on these days he ends up completely floored for the day and he seems somewhat withdrawn/panicky/drowsy. This morning he had what seemed like a panic attack and was in a terrible state and this has also been a regular symptom on these days when he is sick, a state of panic and somewhat disorientated, it subdues in the end but the rest of the day he remains very drowsy and extremely agitated (he also has a terrible itch which has has had for a while now due to his kidneys) He has also developed a twitch/shake in his hand over the last few weeks.

Are these common symptoms related to this stage of kidney failure?

When the sickness came I got his dr out who told us to go to hospital where all his bloods came back clear, they thought maybe it could be a viral infection, but 2 weeks on he is still showing these signs and the panic attacks are so frightening.

If anyone has any experience with such symptoms and any advice it would be much appreciated
wagolynn

Re: End Stage Kidney Failure - New Symptoms, advice needed

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Seville_2003,
Sorry to hear about your Dads condition.

The itching - this is common with CKD (kidney failure), I have been prescribed Hydromol, and it works for me, ask his GP to prescribe some.

Has dad had any contact with a dietician, if not ask about this?
Healthy kidneys normally control excess levels of Potassium, and Phosphate (along with other chemicals, and waste products), both of which we need but an excess of either causes problems, the dietician will advise on how to reduce the intake of these.

I think activated charcoal can be used to assist in absorbing some of the waste products, and reducing the nausea but I would ask his doctors about this first because there my be other issues with using this.

The panic attacks - doe's his GP know about these, his body chemistry will be upset due to the CKD, and this may be affecting his state of mind?
Similarly with the tremor.

Best wishes to you both.