Frequency and duration of Dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Frequency and duration of Dialysis

Post by JMan »

you might want to check out http://www.davita.com/treatmentevaluator/

And go over it a few times. Ideally you need to think long term, and what works well around your current lifestyle. There WILL be changes, generally the more dialysis the better. Long session nocturnal dialysis possibly gives the closest results by comparison to a transplant.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
bonniebunkins

Post by bonniebunkins »

I have been on PD for one year now. I connect up to the Baxter cycler for 10 hours every night. As I have to spend a lot of time lying down due to exhaustion it is not an issue for me to be connected for that amount of time. It is very easy on the body and so far I have not had any peritonitis problems. During the day, I am dry, meaning there is no fluid left in my peritoneal cavity -- thus no bloating or uncomfortable feelings. On occasion, I have had cramping and the "sucking" issue that another member has mentioned but it usually only lasts during the drain cycle of the treatment.....I just put up with it. The doctors did tell me that if it was an issue, they would program the machine to always leave a small amount of solution in the peritoneal cavity so it doesn't "suck" dry. I love the freedom that this type of dialysis offers. My days are free and I can easily take my cycler machine with me when I want to travel. I go through 10 liters of solution a night so you need a lot of room to store your supplies. It takes about 15 minutes to set everything up at night and about 10 minutes to disconnect and clean up in the morning. Another thing, there is a lot of waste to dispose of including (for me) 40 cardboard boxes a month to dispose of. Just the same, if I have to be on dialysis, then to me this is the route to go. I am presently being assessed for a transplant and if approved, my son will donate a kidney. However, I am having severe guilt issues about taking a kidney from him so am still undecided if I will accept one from him or if I will wait several years for a cadaveric kidney. Good luck with your decision making -- it will depend on what works best for you and your family.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I am on HD which I find is great for me. Unlike the previous contributor I do not feel at all exhausted and as I write this I am enjoying a week at the seaside without the worry of supplies and getting g rid of rubbish afterwards. I have my days to do. Whatever I want then just turn up at the local Unit for my dialysis on the 6-10pm shift as pre-arranged.