Pregnancy with a transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

MaxSH

Pregnancy with a transplant

Post by MaxSH »

hi

I just wondered if anybody here has had the experience of having a successful pregnancy with a transplant?
I had my transplant 18 years ago and myself and my fiancé are discussing trying for a baby, after the agreement and support from my nephrologist. I totally understand the risks, I have been told of worse case scenarios, but likewise my neph has told me of successful pregnancies where both mother and baby are ok.
I feel a bit out on a limb here as I don't know any other renal patients who have been through this, so any constructive thoughts or comments from those of you that have had this experience, I would really appreciate, thanks! :)
AmandaClare

Re: Pregnancy with a transplant

Post by AmandaClare »

A few of us on the website have had successful pregnancies after transplant. I have one son. I also know personally two other ladies who go to my clinic, each of whom has two kids.

A search of the site will bring up previous threads.

My pregnancy was the least smooth one I know of. My son was born at 32 weeks weighing 3lb. However he is fine now, fit and well and very lively.He starts school in September!

Best of luck with whatever you decide. If you go ahead it will be a stressful, highly medicalised pregnancy, but worth it...
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

I've known two ladies who, post transplant, have become pregnant and given birth.

Both they, and their children are fine.

If you feel up to it, you gotta go for it haven't you?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
MaxSH

Post by MaxSH »

Thank you both for your replies, it's encouraging to know that other people have had positive experiences and both they and their babies were fine. It is one hell of a decision but like you say worth a try! :D