Sun exposuure after translant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Sun exposuure after translant

Post by Grey »

Hi....You may not be aware but because I have spent my whole life in the sun in South Africa even before transplant had had numerous BCC and SCC cancers removed. Now they have warned me that I am an above average risk for developing serious cancers. hence my question...I am paranoid about sun exposure and even when all I am doing is driving I plaster my arms with factor 50 block. I do not wish to be over the top but also do not wish to suffer unduly from skin cancers. Any observations from others who have similar problems.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Tibbs

Re: Sun exposuure after translant

Post by Tibbs »

I went to see a dermatologist about an unrelated matter and she prescribed me factor 50 sunblock. I've got a repeat prescription as well, so it's all covered in my annual prescription direct debit. I just slap the stuff on with abandon!

Having said that, I'm a geek and rarely go outside in daylight, so I'm probably the exact opposite to you in terms of sun exposure!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Grey

Post by Grey »

Well on this topic the clinic today said use factor 50 freely, avoid midday sun if at all possible and reapply often. That's it for me from now on in. Caravan here I come....well after the take the PD tube out and all. OH and after I have bought one haha
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
jooles

Post by jooles »

Finally bit the bullet and bought ours last week! Can't wait to be a caravaner!!
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Yea, azathioprine is one of the drugs that causes the problems.

I've been going to dermatologists for 30 years now and every time i get a new one, i get the "lecture", no sunbathing, cover up, factor 50 UVA and UVB etc etc

After a while, it's loads of fun to look them straight in the eye and say, " I never sunbathe, a sunbed is so much quicker"

Trust me, the horror in their face never fails to amuse! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It'll keep you laughing for weeks.

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!