PD tube removal

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

PD tube removal

Post by SKM23435 »

I'm due to go into hospital in 3 weeks for removal of my stent and PD tube. I found Deans post about stent removal reassuring but wondered about the PD catheter.

It was originally put in under LA with sedation. This wasn't as unpleasant as I'd feared. (I'm a coward). I gather the plan is to remove it with the same .
So my questions are:
Anyone had this done? What was it like?
What's the recovery like?
How do they do it? It's fixed too well just to pull out.
Will I be able to drive 3 days later?

Thanks

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
MandyA

Re: PD tube removal

Post by MandyA »

Hi there,

I had my PD catheter removed about six months ago.

This was intended to be day case surgery, and actually, the surgeon did just pull the catheter out! However, I had been on dialysis for over three years before my transplant, so he decided to give me a sedative, and then I stayed in hospital overnight for observation.

If the surgeon had been unable to pull the catheter out, he planned to cut into my abdomen to remove it.

I am sure you will be able to drive after three days.

I can't comment on the stent removal.... mine was tied to my urinary catheter, and pulled out a few days after my transplant, when the catheter came out.

Mandy
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

My PD line was removed during my transplant, but that may have been as I had a kidney and pancreas transplant, I'm glad my stent removal thread has helped ease your mind a little, that was the aim of posting of my experience with it. All the best for both.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I had my PD tube removed a few days post tx. There was no sedation and the surgeon just pulled it out. I was horrified when I found out that this was what he had planned but apart from snipping the skin around the tube (I had been on PD for nearly six years) it was completely painless. Weird sensation but no pain at all.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Had it removed today.
Local anaesthetic, no sedation.
Not a problem. Painless just a tugging sensation.

Feel rather odd without it!!
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15