Post transplant shape

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

Post transplant shape

Post by SKM23435 »

I ask this question not out of vanity but for practical reasons:

I'm now 17 days post transplant. I'm doing well but I still look 28 weeks pregnant and bare a passing resemblance to Winnie the Poo. Pre transplant I had a reasonable size 10/12 stomach. The only clothes I can fit into at present are track suit bottoms. So my question is - will my pre op shape return, if so when can I expect to get back into my clothes? Or do I need to go and buy a new wardrobe?

I have to admit that I'd rather have a kidney than a waist.

Thanks
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
chessnut

Re: Post transplant shape

Post by chessnut »

Sorry, being pre-transplant I can't help you with this, but I am curious whether this is typical - I should probably get some larger clothes in preparation.

(There was a recent episode of Holby City where a kidney transplant patient got into trouble by taking diet pills after putting on weight post-transplant! I didn't credit the story much at the time, but perhaps it wasn't too far off reality?!)
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

I was the opposite after transplant (well double, kidney and pancreas) I was about 15kg lighter than before my transplant, but some of that was down to having about 3-4 litres of fluid retention while on PD
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I was only 70 kg at transplant and at nearly 6ft underweight by about 5kg. I now have a slight belly on my RHS where the kidney is fixed in and assured by m,y surgeon that I will never regain my former shape.

I would hold out from buying a new set of outfits as steroid weight can and will fluctuate. Great news about the transplant
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

You will always, inevitably, have a slightly different shape where the kidney is.

If you are on steroids, you will also have a slight tummy. It will go down a bit as your dose comes down, but unfortunately it will always be there a little.

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I suspect that you still have a lot of fluid on board as you are still pretty recently post transplant - give it a few more weeks!
jooles

Post by jooles »

Hi! An interesting question here. On my mind too! I'm 10 weeks post transplant and after initial bruising went down, felt fine size-wise.b in the last couple of weeks, I have bloated quite considerably in the face and my tummy has a distinct pregnant look such that I keep asking about whether I have excess fluid. I'm told it's normal reaction to meds and will settle once steroids reduced. Currently taking 15 mg of prednisone. My meds are constantly changing as they are at a loss a bit about a very low white blood count. Like you, I'm not complaint and am eternally grateful for my kidney - just get a little down occasionally with all the side effects, worry and clinic visits ....
Good luck to you.
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
pns2007

Post by pns2007 »

Hi, I'm just over 6 months now, its only over the last month I've really been fully mobile, can now touch my toes (well with a little knee bending!!) and stretch to get things from the top of the wardrobe etc. It's been an up and down 6 months but I do now feel really well, well enough to now start some form of regular exercise. Last month I have been painting and decorating.

My stomach has always been a little 'pot bellied' but after the 10" scar its dropped a lot more due to the cutting through the muscle wall and when I look down on it (if you know what I mean) the right side is a little larger than the left side. However, since being more active I'm slowly regaining my posture and have lost a little weight, albeit not much.

I wore elasticated jogging bottoms for months as my scar was just on the belt line.

Best wishes, I'm now starting to live my life again :D
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Ok. I decided to post in case anyone looks at this in the future.

At 5 months I'm back to my pre dialysis weight and my ankles are slimmer than they have been in years.
I can get into my pre transplant clothes although not all of it looks flattering! I'm wearing slightly looser tops to hide the slight right hand side bulge. the stomach muscles are better than they were and may benifit from a bit of work.

So I think in summary- I am a funny shape but better than I was 5 months ago, but I'm living with it quite happily. I haven't needed a new wardrobe but a slight modification in some part (no skin tight tops).
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
sporti

Post by sporti »

That's great news and very encouraging. I'm 5 months now as well and about 2 stone lighter even with all these steroids! so I'm pleased about that. Working hard not to put weight back on but I have an enormous tum but its beginning to look like someone has put a pin in it and its starting to go down. TMI sorry if it offend! I'm still struggling with the medications so I really hope that they change the doseage at my 6 months appointment. x