Transplant chat clinic

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

igor74

Transplant chat clinic

Post by igor74 »

Hello everyone.

I am waiting to be sent an appointment to attend the ' transplant chat renal clinic ' at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. I have been informed that this appointment may last up to 2 hours.

I am hoping someone on here who has already been through this experience could tell me what this will involve please.

Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Transplant chat clinic

Post by JMan »

Unless its a pre transplant clinic, I've not come across the term.. Curious now..:)
Maybe someone from QE can answer the question!
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Yes, it's a pre transplant clinic. The appointment letter calls it the 'transplant chat renal clinic'.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Ruth

Just a guess, but could it be an 'education' session? My reason for thinking it could be this is that I have recently attended a pre transplant education session at Guys hospital in London. Shortly after I was transferred to the advanced clinic (for those with an eGFR of below 20) and because I am hoping to be considered for transplant, I was told that as part of the process I would need to attend an pre transplant education session which was compulsory. At this education session, which was indeed a 'chat', there were talks from various professionals and these included a transplant surgeon, post op nurse, pharmacist (to educate us on all of the various drugs we would need to take post op) and a patient whom themselves had already received a transplant. The session was held as a group session and there were approx. 10-15 of us (plus accompanying friends/relatives).

If you are hoping to receive a transplant, maybe it is this?? Let us know anyway!
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Thanks. I am hoping to get a second transplant so this does seem to be a likely possibility (especially as my current kidney was transplanted in 1974 and things will be completely different now). My appointment is on June 3rd. I will let you know what it is all about when I have been.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Ruth,

So has your current transplant lasted 40 years?
What's the secret of keeping them well for so long?
Mine is 10 days old and I feel very protective of it. 40 years and I'll be 94, so if I could keep it for 40 years I'd be very happy.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Hi Sue,

Great news about your new kidney. Here's to many healthy, happy years ahead for you.

I had my kidney when I was 11. I am 52 now. The donor was a 16 year old French girl who sadly died in a motorcycling accident. I often think of her and it feels strange to think there is a small part of her still living on in me. My consultant says my kidney has lasted so long because I have looked after myself (which I do), but I think I have just been incredibly lucky.

I would say however, I believe that it's important not to allow the fact that we have someone else's kidney to define us or hold us back unnecessarily. Without fail do as the doctors advise, but otherwise as far as possible, live your live as though it never happened. Most of my friends don't know I have had a transplant - yet. That will have to change now I am coming up to dialysis. I have never had dialysis before so the thought of this is daunting. Of course, this is just my opinion and not necessarily the right one, but it has suited me.

Let's hope that you and every other transplant patient get 40 + healthy years too.

All the best.
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Thank you for your replies everyone.

I have attended the 'transplant chat clinic' today. It involved speaking to the surgeon and the coordinator and then having an arm full of blood taken. As long as the bloods don't show anything awful I shall be on the list. Well, that bit was was easy anyway.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Igor.... 40 years would make me 65 + 40 Hmmmm 105, could I be so lucky. :roll:
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Let's hope so grey.

If you were wondering, Igor was my late partner's nick name for my kidney. He had a weird sense of humour.

Ruth
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

igor74 wrote: I had my kidney when I was 11. I am 52 now. The donor was a 16 year old French girl who sadly died in a motorcycling accident. I often think of her and it feels strange to think there is a small part of her still living on in me. My consultant says my kidney has lasted so long because I have looked after myself (which I do), but I think I have just been incredibly lucky.

I would say however, I believe that it's important not to allow the fact that we have someone else's kidney to define us or hold us back unnecessarily. Without fail do as the doctors advise, but otherwise as far as possible, live your live as though it never happened. Most of my friends don't know I have had a transplant - yet. That will have to change now I am coming up to dialysis. I have never had dialysis before so the thought of this is daunting. Of course, this is just my opinion and not necessarily the right one, but it has suited me.
Wow, i've had mine 34 years and don't often hear of people wit longer ones. That was a great kidney you had!

And i totally concur with your views, i've always tried to not be a "professional patient" but to just get on and live.

Hope your next one is as good.

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
igor74

Post by igor74 »

Thanks Chris,

So do I.

Ruth