Going to the dentist

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

Going to the dentist

Post by SKM23435 »

Last time I saw my dentist he said - everything is fine come back in 2 years.
I just wondered if we renal patients need to attend more frequently when on dialysis. Our calcium and phosphate levels are problematic, we are under threat of renal bone disease - should we be having more frequent check ups? Anyone been any specific advice re this?
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
AmberH

Re: Going to the dentist

Post by AmberH »

I just remember the surgeons told my husband he must have regular check ups with the dentist to make sure his mouth was healthy whenever he got the call.

Sorry that's probably not very helpful!
Chris In Trowbridge

Post by Chris In Trowbridge »

Well im stage 3 and have to go every 6 months, they wanted me to go every 3 months i think but could not afford that, i am trying to keep my teeth and gums in good condition, as i thought i read somewhere that you cant have a transplant if teeth or gums are bad, i do have slight gum disease, so they deep flush my gums every visit, one of my teeth is loose because of gum disease, so i have check up and hygenest and cost about £90 each visit, just spent like £450 last checkup as well :x
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

If your transplanted you should seek the advice of your consultant and inform your dentist, and if your on dialysis. Esp if your on immunsupressives or blood thinners.

I'm thinking of going NHS as the private dentist our family has been using for years is going to charge 75 quid for a clean and scrape hygienists appointment. That's over a weeks benefit allowance!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
hotashel

Post by hotashel »

Hi,

We have a family outing to the dentist every 6 months.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I agree that 2 years is a long gap. I'm usually on 6 months as a tx patient because the drugs can affect your oral health.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
scary2112

Post by scary2112 »

Im asked to go every 6 months for a checkup too

Scary xx
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

I was told I had to get a broken tooth problem sorted out before going onto the list. 6 monthly checkups for me.
wilcock01

Post by wilcock01 »

I have always been told to have regular check-ups at the dentist since being on dialysis in 1996 to nowadays as a transplant patient. Though I did go anyway. My dentist was not keen on pulling one of my back teeth out a couple of years ago with having a transplant. Something to do with the bleeding I think and wanting me to go to a Dental Hospital. But he did it in the end which was easier than going to a hospital.

Also on a different subject . I am always advised to have my eyes checked as well. Which I would recommend because as a transplant patient I take steroids which had led to cataracts' in my eyes. Which is gradual and I hadn't really noticed too much. But having them both done I see the all world in a different light so to speak.

I know these cost money but at the end f the day you cant put a price on your health or well being.
APD Leeds General Infirmary 1996 to 2000
Transplant Leeds St James March 2000 till now............ Touch wood
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

A possible tip to save money, but NOT time!

There are 18 Dental Schools in the UK, they all need patients to practice on.

When i lived near Guy's i went there.

It takes longer,as the students who practice on you are extremely careful, but they are fully supervised.

The quality of the work is excellent and of course, it's free.

You just need a little patience :D

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!