Referred pain?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

DeanH

Referred pain?

Post by DeanH »

Hi, iv been reading this board for a while but this is my first post, started PD in March last year and am waiting on the kidney and pancreas waiting list, had 5 calls that have all fallen through but will get there in the end I'm sure, for the last few days iv had what feels like really severe trapped air/wind in my left shoulder, after speaking to my renal unit they say it could be referred pain which happens a lot when on dialisis but they couldn't really offer any more advice.

Does anyone have advice/experience of this sort of thing? The pain has been so bad and pain killers haven't even touched it
rheaybou

Re: Referred pain?

Post by rheaybou »

Surprised that they have passed it off, sounds like trapped air from PD.

If you have any manual bags do a full drain stood up and then a fill laid down, stuff like windeeze may also help release the trapped wind. I had it a few times and it is the PD version of HD cramps....horrible!

A nice big burp or trump could be just what the Dr's should order!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
hotashel

Re: Referred pain?

Post by hotashel »

DeanH wrote:Hi, iv been reading this board for a while but this is my first post, started PD in March last year and am waiting on the kidney and pancreas waiting list, had 5 calls that have all fallen through but will get there in the end I'm sure, for the last few days iv had what feels like really severe trapped air/wind in my left shoulder, after speaking to my renal unit they say it could be referred pain which happens a lot when on dialisis but they couldn't really offer any more advice.

Does anyone have advice/experience of this sort of thing? The pain has been so bad and pain killers haven't even touched it
Hi,

I was told if you get shoulder pain, its due to excess fluid (fluid overload) what is your BP like has this changed at all or has your weight increased? do you have swollen hands, ankles or face all of these are signs are fluid overload. My PD nurses say if I ever get this to swap one yellow bag for a green and run one yellow and one green plus the pink last fill.
I had a lot of trouble to start with as I am only skinny and suffered with splinting and I couldn't breath when they tried to put too much fluid in, I have had to play around a lot with the fluid through the night and also the last fill. When I get fluid overload I can tell by my weight, I don't get swelling I just feel wrong then I do a couple of nights with the green and yellow bag and i'm good again. Let me know how you get on