The Team Tibbs Results are in...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Tibbs

The Team Tibbs Results are in...

Post by Tibbs »

And it turns out that all are matches!

All came up negative on the crossmatch as well, which is good.

Interestingly, the matches were not descibed as x/6, rather my dad (who is the best match) is a 111 match, where the best possible is 000. He goes for the next batch of tests on the 30th April, and from there the transplant could be done by the end of May.

My sister is the next best match followed by my mum.

Just found out, so quite a lot to take in. Not sure if I'm pleased or not right now. Obviously I'm relieved that I have matches and options that so many don't have, but it's one step closer to making a relative undergo a serious operation, which is something that scares the crap out of me.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
sanela

Re: The Team Tibbs Results are in...

Post by sanela »

That is great news Tibbs. You are very lucky indeed! Best wishes for everything to go smoothly and as planned.

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009
smudge

Post by smudge »

Great stuff Tibbs. As for making a relative go through surgery. Think how you'd feel if it was them needing the transplant and you were the best match.

They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't want the best for you. I don't regret my decision to donate for a moment and the improvement to my recipient's life and health has been amazing :)
Donated kidney to my best friend on 24th June 2009 at St Georges Hospital
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Dad is booked in for testing part II on the 30th April. They can do everything pretty much in one day, which saves on travelling. Mum's happy as she can go shopping in London while dad's being scanned & prodded!
cindywoolley

Post by cindywoolley »

Wow that is great keeping fingers crossed for both you and your Dad x
Transplanted 23/9/9 St. George's Hospital
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Quick update on this - dad went in to do the tests and the people at the hospital treated him like the hero he is!

All the tests went fine, but he's coming back up to do the cardiac stress test and a 24 hour BP test as he has white coat hypertension quite badly, so his BP was over 180 when they did it on the day. He was going to do the stress test at a local hospital to him, but his local PCT couldn't guarantee they could get him in before Christmas! :evil:

They wouldn't tell him over the phone the actual results of the test, but we're working on the assumption that they wouldn't have him back up for the 2nd part if the results were negative.

He's back up Thursday for the tests and he has a meeting with the consultant to discuss the results on the 6th May after the Bank holiday.

It all seems to be progressing quite nicely right about now.

/touch wood
dirverd

Post by dirverd »

Good luck with it all.

Looks like it won't be too long until your sitting in a bed letting us know how it's all going.
webster

Post by webster »

Good luck with everthing, its so special the Gift of Life
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Tibbs.

That's.great news having matches. Can also understand your fears regarding.putting.loved ones through surgery.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Well after being treated so well last time, it was a bit more down to earth this time.

Went up for his Cardiac Stress Test, but they wouldn't let Dad do it as his BP was 186, and it has to be under 170 for them to let him on the treadmill. They fitted him with the 24 hour BP monitor so hopefully that will give us some results so he can either get some BP meds or if his BP is low enough let him skip the test.

Still has his results on the 6th, so fingers crossed.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Tibbs.

Could that be from nerves?

Mine must be sky high as I get my last two tissue match results this week, then its pick a victim (first donor) time!

Lets hope the 24hrs test goes well and you get a date set soon.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Yes my dad is Doctor & Dentist phobic (I'm sure there's a proper word for it) and I'm so proud that he's made it this far. Dad calls it 'White Coat Hypertension' which is quite apt!

Having said that he propably does have high blood pressure anyway, so this has made him get it checked out properly and get meds to treat it.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Well at least your dad has had 7a good MOT. Lets hope he gets it sorted and is healthy to donate.......nobody likes doctors, just keep giving me bad news!

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Well they had to put dad on Irbesartan as his BP was 180 on average over his 24 hour BP test.

It's coming down slowly (160ish right now), and we have our final meetings booked in for the 5th July with the transplant consultant and the HTA.

He still need to do the cardiac stress test, and maybe an angiogram as they're not sure how long he's had the high blood pressure for.

Adds a bit of a delay, which isn't necessrily a bad thing. I really want the operation to be after the 10th August for personal (friend's wedding) and work (2013 business planning) reasons, neither of which are actually good enough reasons to put off the op if the docs tell me it need to be sooner rather than later.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Dad's back up to HH again today for them to have another look at his BP. My sister has spoken to a doctor friend of hers and thinks they may have him on the wrong BP meds. They put him on Irbesartan which is very good for kidney related Hypertension (and something a neph would naturally prescribe), but he may be better on something like Calcium Channel Blockers given that he's over 55.

He doesn't have reduced kidney function - they measured his eGFR at 160!