after a kidney transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jedcop

after a kidney transplant

Post by jedcop »

hello,this is my first post and I have just had a kidney transplant,i am having doctors appointments but I am confused about physically what I am allowed to do(ie lifting,bending etc) I do not want to undo what the doctors have done,perhaps somebody can suggest some sort of paperwork I can download to help me please...….
wagolynn

Re: after a kidney transplant

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Jedcop,
Welcome to the forum.

I would have expected you to have been advised to not lift, and not drive for several weeks (until the operation site has healed both, internally, and externally), also, as you are vulnerable to infections (due to the drugs) do not mix with crowds.

If you are unsure, I would suggest you phone your transplant team, we are all different so the restrictions, and timing will vary from patient to patient. Don't hesitate to contact them they want to help but cannot guess what help you need, so the wait until you ask.

Best wishes, and congratulations.
jedcop

Post by jedcop »

thank you for your reply wagolynn,i go the renal unit at the royal London hospital every week for check ups but I really didn't think they would answer my question ,however I will ask them for information or where I can get pamplets regarding this,thanks again
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

jedcop wrote:hello,this is my first post and I have just had a kidney transplant,i am having doctors appointments but I am confused about physically what I am allowed to do(ie lifting,bending etc) I do not want to undo what the doctors have done,perhaps somebody can suggest some sort of paperwork I can download to help me please...….
You should be able to find some info here:

https://www.kidney.org.uk/organ-donation/

You can get the info listed on the above NKF website as printed leaflets by calling the NKF helpline number if you want and they will be sent to you for free.

And also the info on this site:
http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/transplants.php

Hope thats useful, and very best of luck with your transplant.

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

jedcop wrote:thank you for your reply wagolynn,i go the renal unit at the royal London hospital every week for check ups but I really didn't think they would answer my question ,however I will ask them for information or where I can get pamplets regarding this,thanks again
I would hope that every transplant centre in the UK operates on pretty much the same principles: my brother and I were at St George's who were always keen to answer any question, and look after every worry, no matter how slight. Before the operation they wanted to be sure that I knew exactly what I was committing myself to, and when I left afterwards they told me to call the department at any time if I had a concern of any sort. Your transplant co-ordinator should be the first point of call if you don't have any other contact.
JohnW99

Post by JohnW99 »

Hi my GFR is now 20, I am in the process of going onto the transplant list (Hep B jabs heart scan etc) I am still working although I no longer do hard physical work.
What is the average recovery time after the transplant, how soon can I get back to work?
I work with a guy who has just come back to work 8 months after his transplant but he had a lot of complications and is older and less fit.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi JohnW99,

Average times are :

About two days in hospital after the transplant.

No lifting for about six weeks to allow the wound to heal.

There will be restrictions on driving, again related to the wound healing.

Depending on the work, four to six weeks to restarting work, generally the less exposure to crowded places the better as in the early stages as the anti-rejection drugs depress the immune system making the patient prone to catch anything that is going..

These are averages, each patent is different so I would not plan too far ahead, also the patients general health at the time of the transplant has an influence on recovery.

Best wishes.